Read what we’ve been up to
How to Glaze a Ham
A glaze is not a requirement when cooking a ham, however, a wonderfully crafted glaze can certainly add extra flavor and dimension to your holiday dinner centerpiece. Glazes can consist of prepared mixtures such as fruit spreads, jams and chutneys or items already in your pantry or refrigerator such as honey, mustard, fruit juices or maple syrup. One of the Jones family’s go-to glazes is brown sugar and whole grain mustard.
Follow these 4 simple steps to glaze a ham:
- Begin glaze preparation before heating the ham or while it is in its preliminary stages of heating.
- Thoroughly mix the glaze before applying to easily spread on ham or let stand for a thicker textured glaze that can be poured onto the ham.
- Using a sharp kitchen knife, score the ham in a diagonal pattern along the top, creating thin cuts to allow the glaze to seep deep into the ham. Scoring also creates a nice, crisp crust.
- To keep from burning, add the glaze at the end of cooking, in the last 30 minutes. Use a pastry brush to generously apply the glaze and return ham to the oven. Repeat the process if desired.
Easy, 2 step method to moisten ham and give flavor without a glaze.
- Thirty minutes prior to the end of the heating time, score the fat, insert cloves and rub with brown sugar.
- Moisten ham with water, ginger ale or sherry so it doesn’t get dried out. Accompany with a sauce or chutney on the side when serving.
Here are a few of our favorite ham glaze recipes:
Jones makes a variety of naturally smoked hams including:
- Hickorywood Smoked Uncured No Sugar Heritage Ham
- Hickorywood Smoked Whole Bone-in Ham
- Hickorywood Smoked Semi-Boneless Ham
Find our hams near you through our Product Finder.
Get to Know Wholestone Farms - A Jones Partnership Rooted in Family at its Foundation
It might surprise many of our loyal customers to discover that at Jones Dairy Farm, we don’t raise our own pigs for the products you love. However, this doesn’t diminish the importance we place on the pork supply we trust for you and your family. In fact, we take immense pride in selecting suppliers who […]
Jones Dry-Aged Bacon Returns
After a brief hiatus, Jones Dairy Farm is thrilled to announce the return of its distinctively delicious Dry-Aged Center Cut Bacon to grocery stores, bringing joy to bacon enthusiasts far and wide. In this exciting reintroduction, Jones proudly unveils a new, uniform 12-ounce package size for its bacon offerings, a great choice for all consumers. […]
How to Cook & Carve the Perfect Holiday Ham
There’s nothing better than a beautiful ham gracing your table as the centerpiece of any holiday gathering. However, the cooking and carving of the ham is not only critical to the overall success of the meal but can be downright intimidating too! We’re here to help with guidance of our very own Philip Jones, who […]
Jones Sausage Resealable Bulk Bags Now Available in Grocery Stores Nationwide
Jones Dairy Farm recently introduced four all natural, fully cooked breakfast sausage bulk bags in resealable packaging. The new bulk bag flavors include: • All Natural Golden Brown Pork Sausage Links, 20 oz., approximately 30 links• All Natural Golden Brown Thick Cut Patties, 20 oz. , approximately 17 patties• All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage […]